Friday, March 6, 2015

Five on Friday or: The One Where I Watch Way Too Much Television.

TGIF! I have had a pretty great week and I am looking forward to a fabulous weekend of organizing projects, a glimpse of spring weather (hopefully), and a visit from my parents. Here are the random things that are making me happy this week:




(one) TV that I am so excited about

Mad Men
 
 
 
In my opinion, Mad Men is the best show out right now. I think the acting, directing, and costume and set design are just brilliant. The stories are told very well and I struggle with both loving and hating Don as well as other characters. I am patiently awaiting what I know will be an outstanding farewell, but I know it will be bittersweet to say goodbye to my favorite show in May.
 
Some really great articles have come out recently in anticipation of the new season. John Slattery reveals his fave Mad Men moment and talks about Roger Sterling's fate. Huffington Post ponders on what makes Don Draper a hero. Vincent Kartheiser says that Pete is bitter and entitled (well, duh.) January Jones remembers her audition. Kiernan Shipka shares her favorite scene. And finally these 69 memorable shots from the show.
 
But really, this trailer says it all!
 
Season 7.1 will be available for streaming on Netflix on March 22, so you have plenty of time to catch up before the premiere on April 5!
 
Southern Charm
 

Ok guys, with the exception of competition shows like Top Chef or game shows, I have never been into reality television. Real Housewives, Bachelors and Bachelorettes, Kardashians? No thanks.

Enter Southern Charm. This show started just as my maternity leave was wrapping up last year and it was the perfect thing to watch when I arrived home from work and Viv was ready to nurse and take a little catnap.
Well, the second season starts March 16th and I could not be more excited! How great does this trailer look? As Cameran says "Everyone gets a ticket on the hot mess express!" Can't wait to hop aboard!
 
American Crime
 

American Crime actually premiered last night (I have it on the DVR to watch tonight), taking the time slot where How To Get Away With Murder used to play, so it has some rather large shoes to fill. But considering it was created by John Ridley, the screenwriter of 12 Years a Slave, and stars Felicity Huffman and Timothy Hutton, it has promise. Check out a review and trailer for American Crime here.
 
The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

 
 I am pretty much on board with anything Tina Fey does. If I saw her wearing army pants and flip flops, I would wear army pants and flip flops. So obviously I am fully prepared to fall in love with this new show, premiering on Netflix tonight.  
 
Here is everything you need to know about The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

(two) TV that has me scatching my head

Ellen's Design Challenge
 

I am a huge Ellen fan, HGTV is frequently on in our house, and furniture design interests me, so I was undoubtedly all in when I saw commercials for Ellen's Design Challege. Joey and I were both really digging it and rooting for both Tim and Katie. Cut to fifty minutes into the finale. Wait, WHAT? Seriously? I won't spoil it in case you haven't seen it, but I have so many unanswered questions.

(three) Yes, Please

 
Goodreads' review states that "In Amy Poehler’s highly anticipated first book, Yes Please, she offers up a big juicy stew of personal stories, funny bits on sex and love and friendship and parenthood and real life advice (some useful, some not so much), like when to be funny and when to be serious. Powered by Amy’s charming and hilarious, biting yet wise voice, Yes Please is a book is full of words to live by."
 
I remember being excited about this book coming out last year and added it to my wish list. Then I started seeing not so great reviews for it, so it kind of fell to the bottom of the list. Well, when I decided to take advantage of a free trial of Audible, I noticed that it is actually narrated by Poehler herself (among other "guest stars") and it shot back to the top of the list. I am listening to it on my way home from work every day and I've made it maybe a quarter of the way through. I expected to be smirking to myself and laughing out loud, which I totally am. But I was surprised to also find myself tearing up and nodding along earnestly. I loved hearing behind the scenes accounts from SNL and the tales of both her own birth (guest-narrated by Poehler's mother) and the first of her first son, Archie.
 
(four) Spicy Lemon Garlic Shrimp
 
I made Pioneer Woman's recipe for Spicy Lemon Garlic Shrimp several times in a row a few years ago and promptly forgot about it for whatever reason. It popped in my head a few days ago when I was making the grocery list and then when I got to Publix it was on sale. Meant to be.
 
I made it last night with some French bread to sop up the extra butter and it was as good as I remembered. It is a lot of butter, but don't let that scare you. Give in to the buttery goodness.



(five) Old Navy Finds
Is it just me or has Old Navy been killing it lately? They have come out with some really great pieces. I have found a couple of sales over the past few weeks and picked up a few items.


 
 
HAPPY FRIDAY!


No comments:

Post a Comment